00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mchalupa just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

database and database retrieve

1,156 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

database and database retrieve 2007-02-19 10:31:52

Hello, i am creating a website for my uncle, to do with our family tree.

and i want to create a database, im going to do it in access beacuse i know how to use it. and hopefully that then can be uploaded to the host/server thing.

but what i dont know how to do is, on the website i want a search bar, so you input a name, first and second, and then it retrieves the data from the database and displays it on the website, and maybe an image of the person too.

ive looked on the internet for help, but im not sure what to do.

can anyone help me out please.

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-19 11:09:18

First of all, what language are you using? ASP, PHP?

And just so you know you're only going to be able to use an access database on a Windows server.

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-19 12:35:12

im doing my website in HTML

but isnt there a program to convert your access database to mySQL?

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-19 12:38:53

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=access+t o+mysql&btnG=Google+Search

I still don't know how you are going to do this with pure html. I recommend going with php but of course you would have to learn it first.

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-19 13:44:31

Impossible with html, semi-possible with JS but it will be crappy.

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-19 14:31:57

At 2/19/07 11:09 AM, DFox wrote: And just so you know you're only going to be able to use an access database on a Windows server.

are you sure? the .mdb is just a datafile that sits on the server, I wouldn't think windows/linux would make much difference since php can work with access anyway
http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_db_odbc.asp

but isnt there a program to convert your access database to mySQL?

you're better off just doing it in mysql to start with

BBS Signature

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-19 14:43:44

At 2/19/07 02:31 PM, Afro-Ninja wrote:
At 2/19/07 11:09 AM, DFox wrote: And just so you know you're only going to be able to use an access database on a Windows server.
are you sure? the .mdb is just a datafile that sits on the server, I wouldn't think windows/linux would make much difference since php can work with access anyway
http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_db_odbc.asp

I'm pretty sure. I used Access and PHP on a windows server years ago, but as I remembered, I think odbc_connect() takes a datasource, and I'm not sure how you would even get that datasource made on Linux. I think you would need some special software on the server to do it and I don't think it would really be worth it. But PHP and Access on a Windows server works nicely in my experience, but I don't think you would be able to create a datasource on a Linux server but I might be wrong if you can somehow avoid using a datasource.

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-20 02:20:10

It is possible to convert databases to a common format. Use the "Comma Separated Values" format. Any program can load that format easily.

Each time someone abuses hittest, God kills a kitten. Please, learn real collision testing.

Response to database and database retrieve 2007-02-20 09:41:55

ok thanks alot... so say i have created my database in mySQL now and its uploaded to a server. now on my website i have a search bar and 2 text fields one for the first name n the other for the second name, once you input what u want to search and click search, how do i then get the information from the database to appear on the website?

thank again! :D